The Most Popular Home Treatments for Toenail Fungus
Over the counter solutions and medical treatments to toenail fungus infections may not be very effective at some point. They are mostly too expensive that many cannot afford them. When you are facing an extended course of expensive treatments or experiencing a recurrence of this infection after a previous treatment, you can try home remedies for toenail fungus. A home remedy is meant to treat a particular disease or condition with the use of items that can be easily obtained like spices, herbs, household products and essential oils. Here are the most common remedies that you can use for your toenail fungus infection.
Tea tree oil
There are a lot of people who can testify to the wonders that tea tree oil can make to fungal infections. This oil is extracted from Melaleuca alternifolia, an Australian tree. This oil has been effective in treating viral, yeast, bacterial and fungal infections. Tee tree oil can be simply applied to the infected toenails using a cotton ball. It may not smell good but it easily dries and produces good results. You can also drop a few of this oil into your bath for feet and skin care. Before you use tea tree oil treatment for your toenail fungus, it is advisable to visit your doctor for proper diagnosis.
White vinegar often has a 4% acidity level and its antiseptic and acidity qualities make an environment that fungus won’t be able to grow in. Get a cotton ball and saturate it with white vinegar and wipe it from the base of the nail outward. You can also soak your feet in a basin with white vinegar and water for about 15 minutes. While your feet are treated with vinegar, the fungus will eventually die and will not infect your new grown nails. Continue to use white vinegar to toenail fungus infections for a month. During this period, you must observe a growth of new nails from the cuticle. Continue to use this until you can see the discolored or infected nail has totally grown out.
Amid the efforts of experts to conduct studies on the effectiveness of different natural remedies to toenail fungus infection, there has been evidence that shows the healing qualities of coconut oil for types of skin conditions. Coconut oil is abundant in lauric acid, a very uncommon saturated fat. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are termed as medium-chain triglycerides, which contain anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Coconut oil is helpful in repairing damaged skin skills and combating attacks of free radicals. Coconut oil used to treat toenail fungus infections works effectively by reducing pain and killing the fungus.
Oil of Oregano
Studies have shown the potency of oil of oregano to fight Candida without any side effects. Oil of oregano has carvacrol, the plant ingredient that can work against fungi. It has also been proven to be antiseptic and antibacterial. It can be mixed with other essential oils like tea tree oil and olive oil. The oil can applied directly on the infected toenail.
Neem oil treats nail fungus because of its anti-fungal action and enhances the look of brittle fingernails due to its moisturizing and nourishing properties. This can be used by massaging a drop of this oil into a nail and its surrounding area. Neem oil has sulfurous compounds that are responsible for its odor and medicinal properties.
The use of sea salt to treat toenail fungus infection is a very inexpensive way. Here’s how to use it.
- Trim you toenails and set them ready to be placed with the sea salt. Make sure the salt can efficiently reach the affected area.
- Put warm water to a basin that is enough to cover your toes.
- Get a towel and roll it up then put it under the basin at the other side where your toes will be placed. This is intended to tilt the water to the toe end of the basin.
- Add a cup of hydrogen peroxide the water then dip your toes into it.
- Take your toes out of the water and pour sea salt over them. Keep it rested for three minutes. Add a cup and a half ground sea salt to the basin and put your toes back into the water. Soak them for half an hour.
- Remove your toes out of the basin and dry it with towel.
- Apply one or two drops of vinegar to the infected toenail. Don’t wear closed shoes when you have to go out instead use flip flops or sandals.
Perform this sea salt process every day as or as often as possible until the fungus has completely disappeared.
Baking is found to be highly alkaline which means that when it is applied to the foot, it can help in balancing the pH level and make it difficult for bacteria and fungus to grow. Toenail fungus will be fought when a tepid water and baking soda is rubbed into the infected toenails. In fact, you can sprinkle baking soda to your shoes to help alter the pH level of your feet. This will make your feet less hospitable for the growth of fungus.
One of the main uses of lemongrass oil is to fight toenail fungal infection. It is used as an ingredient of toenail fungus treatment because of its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It efficiently attacks the toenail fungus and protects the toenail from further infection. This oil is used to reduce the damaging symptoms of toenail infection like crumbling, fragility, distortion and daintiness. Lemon grass must be combined with other oils to work efficiently in killing fungus. Here’s how to use it to kill toenail fungus.
- Buy lemongrass oil and carrier oils like grapeseed oil or coconut oil from a healthy food store. The role of the other oils will be to minimize the harshness of the lemongrass oil.
- Mix an ounce of the carrier oil with a dozen drops of the lemongrass oil
- Do not apply the oil if you haven’t washed your hands to be sure that they don’t have other products that might interfere with the oil.
Apply the mixture to the affected toenails two times every day until the infection is completely gone.